Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Montezuma's Revenge















Rich's Personal Remedy for the "Revenge"




Tulum- Ancient Mayan Temple by the Sea


Last year at this time we were back from our vacation to Playa del Carmen, Mexico. In spite of our best efforts, several in our party succumbed to mild cases of "Montezuma's revenge" from foreign bacteria that invaded our gut and caused indigestion/ diarrhea. The Mexican tourist areas have dramatically improved their water quality through the construction of on-site water purification systems. In fact in many upscale resorts it is safe to drink the tap water. An act that would have been unheard of for most people just 10 years ago.


I err on the side of caution and buy bottled water since I have travelled to Mexico over 20 times in the past 2 years and have paid dearly when I drank tap water, ice cubes, and ate raw vegetables.


During these trips I experimented with "remedies" such as grape fruit seed extract, Oxygen water drops, and high doses of probiotics. The last option worked the best for me. The one thing I just bought and will try on my next trip is a water bottle w/ a built-in filtration system.


Even with precautions, you may end up getting some sort of intestinal "bug". The most common recommended cure is antibiotics, particularly for severe cases.


Whatever route you take, I have found a fruit smoothie that gets me back to "normal" faster than anything else I have tried. It includes the following ingredients:


Blueberries:

Bananas:

Flax Seed:

Rice Milk:

Probiotics:

Goji Berries (optional):


This concoction works wonders for me. Naturally consult your healing coach/ doctor before you try anything.


Here's to "keeping it together."


Cheers!
Richard
PS- Nutritionals available on http://www.richremedies.com/








No comments: