Thursday, August 7, 2008

Austin Guru- H.P.



















Harvey Penick is a legend and a guru. There is a small shrine in his honor at the Austin Country Club where he served as club professional instructor for seven decades......that's right....70 years!
I just purchased a copy of Harvey Penick's Little Red Book today not because I want to improve my golf game but because I want to improve my life game. I officially quit playing golf 2 years ago because I sucked at the game. But I saw the shrine and know intuitively that Harvey and I would have gotten along famously if we met.
Harvey Penick taught golf for seven decades and coached the University of Texas golf team for 33 years. Among his well-known pupils were Ed White, Betty Jameson; Morris Williams Jr., Betsy Rawls, Mickey Wright, Kathy Whitworth, Tom Kite, Ben Crenshaw, and Sandra Palmer.(acc Website) .

I have read that Harvey was a kind and gentle soul. He did not try to force his students into a structured method but allowed them to express their individual genius and God -given talents within the brackets of sound golf techniques. He avoided breaking his students down, instead accentuating the positives that he found within each individual golfer. He epitomized the Austin vibe that I embrace which is to find your own sweet spot and hammer away at it to your hearts content. Something good will come of it if you are honest and passionate about what you are doing.
"When I quit learning, I'll quit teaching" Was a popular Harvey refrain which is applicable to all of us.
Late in his life he collaborated with with Austin writer, Bud Shrake,and authorized four golf instruction books with million of copies sold. The number one and two all-time sports best sellers; Harvey Penick’s Little Red Book (1992) and his Little Green Book, And If You Play Golf, You’re My Friend (1993). Followed by, For All Who Love The Game (1995) and The Game For A Lifetime (1996), a book he was writing when he passed from this realm.
Golf is a great game. Some day I will go back an play again.......I'll be using Harvey Penick's Little Red Book lessons this time around. In life and in golf.
AHO
Richard
PS- Harvey Penick is an Austin original. It's people like Harvey who made this town the enlightened, loving, accepting place it is. Cheers to Harvey.
PS PS- I wish Harvey were here to write the dust jacket blurb for Rich Remedies, Volume 1 . He would have embraced my work I'm sure.

No comments: