Wednesday, April 22, 2009

How I tackled My Allergies Naturally- Part 1

Do you suffer from nagging, uncomfortable allergies that are brining you down?

I once suffered from massive allergies that I tackled with the assistance of a nutritionist, a naturopathic practitioner, and my own personal initiative. You can too.
You can overcome your allergies with some fairly simple steps, self discipline, and a little sacrifice, especially as it applies to the foods that you eat. I am not a huge fan of denial, as I enjoy and appreciate all of the finer things in life, all kinds of food at the top of the list. But when you get as sick as I did, you’ll do almost anything to find a cure.
So how did I figure this out? Desperation was the mother of invention.

Are you ready?

Here’s the short story.

Allergies are your body’s immune systems response to foreign substances like pollens, molds, insect venom, and most commonly, the foods we consume. Our bodies are in a constant battle to protect itself from outside forces or threats; both real and imagined. The body will fight off a food lectin the same way it fights a virus. Your immune system is in a constant battle.
I have had mild allergies since I was a child. The “mother of all allergies” hit me shortly after I moved to Austin, Texas seven years ago. The sources initially were cedar/ oak pollen and mold in the air.

The allergies caused all of your typical symptoms and more: running nose, teary -swollen eyes, sneezing, coughing, shortness of breath, and eventually an upper respiratory infection. Everything is BIG in Texas including the allergies!
The upper respiratory infection caused flu-like symptoms and asthma. Antibiotics, steroids, and an inhaler were prescribed for treatment. The drugs I was given were as bad as the allergies. I got real sick.

What did I do?
Once I realized that I was getting worse and not better, I did all the research I could on allergies and decided to go the alternative medicine route since the mainstream treatments were making me sicker, not better.
The first one I tried was acupuncture and Chinese medicinal herbs. This works for allot of people. It only worked marginally well for me. Everyone is different.
The next step, the one that did work, was the prescription I got from a certified nutritionist. She gave me three (3) vitamins/ minerals: Vitamin C, Fish Oil (Omega 3 fatty acids), and Magnesium. All very good anti-inflamatories and immune system boosters.

The biggest thing she (my nutritionist) did was get me on s restricted diet, eliminating some of my favorite foods, but also some of the worst allergy producers in most people.

Here is the “hit parade” of the most common food allergens in order of the worst offenders for me:
Ice Cream, Milk, Processed Cheeses, Refined Wheat, Refined Sugar, Whole Wheat, Floured Grains, Corn and all Corn-based products, Potatoes (especially French fries), Red meat, Pork, Grain-fed meats, Ketchup, Highly processed foods, Soda pop, and a whole host of lesser offenders.

These foods create an allergic response in the body that consumes all of the body’s energy. When the other allergens like pollen and mold come along, the body’s defenses are shot and you’re overcome by immune system overload.
The best illustration I have heard is that your immune system is like a glass container with water in it. You fill it up with allergy-producing foods (water) and then add on top of that, pollen/ mold (more water), it overflows. Running nose, sneezing, headaches, swelling, and other overload factors.


Back off the offending foods, and you give the body extra capacity to fight off the allergies. No symptoms, because your body has ample reserves (space in the glass) to fight anything that comes its way. To read a more detailed explanation, read my book: Rich Remedies, Volume 1, My Amazing Natural self Healing Discoveries.
Here is the short list of what I did to beat the dreaded chronic allergies and asthma that accompanied them:

 Organic vegetables, Organic grass-fed meats, and 8 glasses of purified, filtered water.
 Omega 3 fish oils, magnesium, and vitamin C according to a nutritionists’ prescription.
 No junk food
Within 30 short days my symptoms were completely gone!
This regimen eliminated 80% of my allergies. In Part 2 of this article I will tackle the other 20%.
Richard
www.richremedies.com

No comments: