Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Utah Jazz Owner has both Legs Amputated Below The Knees

Last Saturday morning as I was pulling into Boggy Creek Farm here in Austin to buy my weekly supply of organic produce I heard on the radio that Larry Miller, Owner of the Utah Jazz basketball team had both of his legs amputated on Friday due to complications from type 2 diabetes. The first thing that entered my mind was that:

"here is a financially successful, smart man with significant resources to find and pay for non-invasive, natural remedies for type 2 diabetes and for some reason, the disease got out of hand and took both of his legs".

My Aunt had one of her legs amputated because of type 2 diabetes.

Could this outcome have been prevented? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Some things happen for a reason and you just have to accept them.

This said, there are practical things you can do to fend off painful outcomes from type 2 diabetes.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." B. Franklin
....or in this case 2 legs.

In my book Rich Remedies, Volume 1 (pp34-39)I discuss the Glycemic Index (GI) diet and the need for all of us to steer our diets towards low GI foods that contain less sugar and eat foods that enable our bodies to metabolize the sugars they have at a slower rate in our bodies.

I have a slight tendency towards diabetes so I am vigilant in the following areas to minimize my chances of advancing to type 2 diabetes:

> Exercise 3 times per week average. Exercise processing glucose in the body.
>Stomach fat- keep the belly fat minimized. Waist line below 40. (I am 36.5 waist) Fat around the stomach for some reason is a precursor to diabetes.
>Low GI foods. I watch what I eat and keep the amount of highly processed foods and sugar to a minimum in my diet
> I eat organic free range bison once per week. It is loaded with coenzyme Q10 which is good for keeping diseases like diabetes in check
> Eat flax seed and take Omega 3 fish oils. The flax seed has Omega 3's and soluable fiber which cleanses the body. The Omega 3's are anti inflamatories.
>Eat magnesium-rich vegetables like Brocoli, spinach, kale and collard greens from organic sources. Magnesium is the most important "dirt mineral there is" See my book for details.
>Drink a minimum of 3 quarts of purified water a day with a small dose of Himalayan rock salt that provides 84 trace minerals.

Does this sound like allot of trouble? Try having your legs amputated!

My point here is that we need to be responsible and conscious about what we put into our bodies (and minds)to avoid some painful medical outcomes. Take responsibility for your health and do a couple simple things to prevent/ minimize future pain.

Health comes before wealth. This needs to be added to the "Law of Attraction". I guess I just did.....

I wish Mr Miller a speedy recovery from his operation.

AHO

Richard

PS- This is not a sermon, I don't preach.

No comments: