Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Peanutbutter (paste) and Salmonella Sandwich

When I was a kid we ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. These days they're serving peanut butter and salmonella. My how times have changed! Actually it's peanut butter paste that has the issue.

Salmonella in peanut butter paste? Is nothing sacred?

This week the processed food industry gifted us with another salmonella outbreak with an American staple, peanut butter paste. The eye of the storm is located in Blakely, Georgia at a peanut paste processing facility. The previous “gifts” from “Uncle Sal” included fresh spinach, green onions, ground beef, melons, and I can’t remember the others right now. There are a bunch.

So far 501 people have been sickened in 43 states from this latest food contamination. Eight people have died from salmonella poisoning. There may be some gross neglect involved on the part of the peanut processor. The FDA investigation continues..... http://www.fda.gov/

So you thought the US Food and Drug Administration were protecting your food? Your drugs?

They have for your convenience listed (after-the- fact) 400 snack bars, cookies, ice-cream, and pet foods voluntarily recalled because of suspected contamination. That’s right, all the things are kids like to eat and even our pets.

I grew up on peanut butter products for creepers sakes.

We all need to take responsibility for our safety and the safety of our loved ones these days when it comes to food. It sounds like I’m preaching again. I don’t preach, I just state the obvious and count on most people to do absolutely nothing with my useful information.

Processed foods are “dead foods” and now we have found them to be "deadly" as well.

Some processed food manufacturers are ignoring public safety in the interests of their financial bottom line. Shame on them (again).

For people who view my pronouncements as alarmist, I may have a few cases of peanut crackers for you......if I can get them out of quarantine. I'll see what I can do.

Eat slow food!

AHO

Richard

No comments: