Tuesday, July 22, 2008

French Sorrell and the Mensa Rabbit





Below: French Sorrell, my "cash crop" (before rabbit)



















Above: French Sorrell (after rabbit) devastation.
Nuked by a Mensa rabbit.

French Sorrell is a lemon-flavored perennial herb that I have had growing in my garden for the past 3 years. It is said to have one of the highest vitamin C contents of any leafy vegetable and has other medicinal qualities. I didn't know of Sorrel until I found it for sale at Boggy Creek Farm http://www.boggycreekfarm.com/ here in Austin. It may be my favorite salad vegetable. The lemon flavor is like no other vegetable.

In my book Rich Remedies, Volume 1 www.richremedies.com I extol the virtues of homegrown organic vegetables and herbs. French Sorrel is a staple of my diet. I do not give healing advice but I will give gardening / salad advice- get and plant some French Sorrell in a pot or in your garden. It's the best.


French Sorrel was the only vegetable this year besides plum tomatoes that really thrived in my Spring/ Summer garden. It's on our table at least 2 times a week. I think I put too much magnesium sulfate in the garden. soil, consequently very few vegetables that I planted thrived.



At sunrise last Friday morning I was in the garden picking French Sorrell when a rabbit ran right in front of me and scampered to the opposite end of the garden. I have thin mesh wire fencing along the bottom of the garden to rabbit-proof it. The garden gate is unhinged so there is a single ingress and egress for small furry critters. This rabbit found the only way in. Must be a Mensa rabbit. (Mensa rabbit has a rabbit IQ that is higher than normal and brags about how smart he is to the dis-interested)



I was tempted to let my Rhodesian Ridgeback "Petey" into the garden for some rabbit hunting. Petey is gazelle fast and a very good hunter. He loves giving chase to wild animals. He would have caught that rabbit. I decided to let the rabbit live to see another day and chased him through the broken gate. Sorry Petey......


Saturday morning at sunrise I went out to pick some fresh French Sorrell for my breakfast. Gone! All gone. Mowed down to the nub. That Mensa rabbit was scoping out my garden for a midnight pillage. The little rascall came back after I spared his life and cleaned me out of my cash crop. That's gratitude? What do you expect from a rodent?


That's it for the 2008 French Sorrell crop.


It's close to the end of the season for this crop......plant more for next year.

Plant some yourself. It's a nice compliment to basil and parsley, the more common backyard herbs.


AHO


Richard


PS- Does anyone have a good recipe for grilled rabbit? If so, please send.


PS.PS.- I'm going to get a gardening section started at http://www.richremedies.com/ in the near future.







































































No comments: