Friday, August 21, 2009

My Luck Just Improved !- Kissing the Blarney Stone







The Blarney Stone Plaque bears the following inscription:

"The above stone was uncovered by a group of engineers near here on March 7, 1939. Due to appearance it was perceived to have an unusual property. On careful investigation it was found to be identical with a piece of the original Blarney Stone which disappeared in from Blarney Castle near Dublin, Ireland in 1659. This piece of the original Blarney Stone bestows on all who kiss it the gift of eloquent speech."


I kissed the Blarney Stone! In Texas! My LUC just improved. (According to my Irish ancestral lore)

My son Scott enrolled at Texas Tech in Lubbock today. I was told that I needed to kiss the Blarney Stone while I was here on campus. Being an author and in sales,I could not pass up the opportunity to be blessed with the "gift of eloquent speech."

As I wondered the campus, I asked multiple people "where is the Blarney Stone?"
Several laughed out loud and said: "What? The Barney Stone?" Barney the purple dinosaur they know.....but Blarney?

After multiple, incredulous, crossed -eyed looks I decided to call campus information. I was beginning to believe that I was on a "snipe hunt" (a sucker's search for nothing....)

Campus information assured me that a piece of the Blarney Stone was next to the Chemical Engineering Building. After wondering aimlessly about, feeling like a fool, I found the Blarney Stone.

As tradition (and my Irish heritage) dictates, I kissed the sacred stone. After all, what's not to like about eloquent speech? Naturally, I checked the stone to make certain that there were no insects, bird droppings, or traces of other foreign matter on it prior to touching my lips to it's sacred surface. There was a gardener about 20 feet away shaking his head at the nutcase kissing the stone while snapping a photo. It's not the first time I've been called a nut and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Naturally, I plan to have the last Irish laugh.

Rich Remedies, Volume 1 (re-edited available for your reading pleasure at www.richremedies.com)

Also, my book just arrived at the Texas Tech University Library for students ready to take their health to the next level. This is no "blarney."

AHO

Richard

PS- When I returned to my hotel room this afternoon, following the pilgramage to Blarney,I sprayed some colloidal silver (traveler's friend) in my mouth and on my lips just in case there were some invisible cooties on the stone. Some mischievous prankster might have spread an invisible dollop of "bad mojo" on the stone just for laughs, I thought, after performing the pagan Celtic ritual. Just so I don't end up doing the Irish Mockareina tonight, I medicated. Vigilance!
PS PS- The next antidote is Guinness Stout. It works on everything!

No comments: