Saturday, March 21, 2009

Habitat for Humanity- Blown Away






Hamilton Pool, Austin, Texas
(nothing to do with this blog, just an inspiring photo)

Today a bunch of us from the Green Corn Project www.greencorn.org jumped into our cars and planted a garden at a Habitat for Humanity house that was surrounded by other Habitat houses. I was blown away!

The neighborhood is full of new, pristine homes with nice yards. The yard we planted the garden in was at least 1/3 acre maybe 1/2 acre.

The gentleman of the house was named Jesus. He was very gracious, very proud of his property, and a really nice guy. I thought "everyone should have a place like this..."

God Bless America! We have volunteer organizations that take care of those in need.

I was touched by the generosity of our people here in Austin and the reat of the USA. Just when I was losing faith in this recession, with the "smartest guys in the room" on Wall Street stealing our savings, I witness the nobility of our country. Bernie Madoff is but a flea on the ass of our goodness and generosity. (I hope you like my metaphor)

There were people next door to the house we were gardening who were swinging hammers and running saws building yet another home for a deserving family.

The garden dig was a success. Tomatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers, and herbs will be on the table of this beautiful, well appreciated home by the July 4th holiday.

A morning well spent. Habitat for Humanity may be my next community gig.....if I could only hammer a nail straight. www.habitatforhumanity.org

AHO

Richard

No comments: